When the team at MMS first suggested a car show, they didn’t really know what to expect. Typically these events are planned months in advance. It was the beginning of April and the MMS team wanted to host one in June! Questions such as: Would anyone come? Would the weather cooperate? Are we competing with the Turkey Festival? were on the minds of all the planners. Planning began in April and by mid-May the team had set a date, ordered plaques for the top 20 vehicles, ordered giveaway prizes, organized volunteers, arranged for food service, and began advertising within the community and on social media.
Well, their efforts paid off! Saturday, June 12, 2021, was the perfect day for a car show! The weather, though warm, was ideal for a day outside. The blue sky was dotted with fluffy clouds. Occasionally, a breeze blew over the grassy lawn providing much appreciated respite from the hot sun. Music filled the air from the radio remote station set at the corner of the lot. The cars started filing in…
Registration for the show began at 10:00 a.m., and by 11:00 a.m. there were more than 40 cars parked in the north lawn of MMS headquarters on Rt. 9 (between Pekin and Tremont, Ill.).
Overall, there were 54 registered vehicles (those eligible for judging) of all makes and models. Members of the MMS Team also brought their personal vehicles to the show. Throughout the day, registered participants voted on the top 20 cars.
Greg and Dan of the locally popular “Greg and Dan Show” on 1470 WMBD Radio started the morning at MMS with a radio remote and conducted interviews with members of the MMS leadership team. Once the show was in full swing, 93.3 The Drive radio station set up a remote and provided entertainment for the rest of the afternoon.
TCRC provided food service and organized a 50/50 Raffle at the event. Tropical Sno provided a sweet treat option to cool off in the heat!
This was the first time MMS hosted a car show at the Pekin headquarters and it won’t be the last. The feedback the team received from participants was so positive, the team is already making plans for the SECOND ANNUAL MMS CAR SHOW!
BEST IN SHOW
- Randy Mattoon – ’58 Corvette
TOP 20 PARTICIPANTS
- Dennis Guther – ’58 Chevy
- Tommy Hodgson – “Green Machine”
- Judd Schwindenhammer – ’55 Chevy
- Kevin Lippert – ’71 Camaro
- Nick Kleiber – ’68 Camaro
- Mike Hamilton – ’68 Camaro
- Brent & Nicole Rollins – ’77 TransAm
- Steve Bresnahan – ’55 Chevy
- Bill McFeeters – Mustang Restoration Mod
- Chris Wade – Impala
- Dick Young – ’39 Chevy
- Steve Peterson – ’67 Chevy C-10
- Gary Daniel – ’54 Chevy Truck
- Ken Sharp – ’40 Chevy Rat
- Tom Satterfield – ’36 Ford
- Travis Riddle – ’66 GT 350
- Don Frietag – ’48 Packard
- Brian Ralston – ’38 Ford Pickup
- John Smith – ’32 Ford
(All winners were present and received their prizes)
Prize Package #1
NHRA U.S. Nationals SATURDAY, SEPT. 04, 2021 at 07:30a.m. at Lucas Oil Raceway, Indianapolis
- 2 Premium Reserved Seating Tickets
- 1 Parking Pass
Prize Package #2
- One Button Pop-up Canopy
- 2 Ozark Trail Oversized Mesh Chairs
- 50Qt Colman Cooler with Wheels
Prize Package #3
- The Beast Detailing Kit-8 Pack Kit Made by The Chemical Guys
Prize Package #4
- $25 Gift Certificate for Rockauto.com
Prize Package #5
- $20 Gift Certificate to BC BBQ in Pekin, IL